Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Meet Janice Sperry

LDS Publisher interviews Janice Sperry, author of the short story, Slushballs. Janice also had a story in the first Christmas anthology, Stolen Christmas & Other Stories of the Season.

LDSP:  Hi there, Janice. Thanks for stopping by the blog here. Tell me a little about yourself.

Janice: I am a mother, a wife, and a writer.  

LDSP:  Surely there’s a little more to you than that. Where do you hail from?

Janice: I live in West Jordan.

LDSP: Ah, home of the famous Gardner Village. I love that place—especially their Witchfest which is going on now! (*free plug for Witchfest.) So besides watching for witches, what are some of your hobbies or favorite things to do?

Janice: I love making crafts with my kids. We recently made ghost masks out of Plaster of Paris for Halloween decorations. I also like to experiment with chocolate.  It's hard to go wrong when chocolate is the main ingredient.

LDSP:  Agreed. Chocolate makes so many things taste better! Your story, Slushballs, is in this anthology. I loved it. You had a short story published in my first collection too, didn’t you?

Janice: Yes. It was called “Too Old for Christmas.”

LDSP: I remember that one. Cute take. It won the Readers Choice Award in the 2008 story contest, didn’t it?

Janice: Yes, it did. I like writing Christmas stories. In fact, just this month I had a Christmas booklet published by Cedar Fort called The Candy Cane Queen. It is available online and in stores.

LDSP: That’s right! And it’s going to sponsor my blog in November, so readers can enter to win a copy. Thanks for sponsoring, by the way.

Janice: Glad to do it.

LDSP: So do you write anything other than Christmas stories?

Janice: Yes. I’m working on books in other genres, but haven’t had any published yet.

LDSP: What genres do you like to write in?

Janice: I write horror and fantasy.

LDSP: I'm not a big horror fan but I love a good fantasy. Hope to see something in that genre from you soon. What inspired you to enter contest?

Janice: An idea popped into my head. I wrote it in one day and submitted it the next. I didn’t expect anything to come of it, but I liked it because it was different.

LDSP: I liked it too. That’s why it won Publisher’s Choice.

Janice: You have fabulous taste.

LDSP: I know. We’re about done here. Any questions for me?

Janice: Any chance you could reveal your secret identity?

LDSP: Nope.

Janice: Dang.

LDSP: Well, that’s all the time we have.  Thank you for coming.

Janice: It was a pleasure.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you put photos and step-by-step instructions for those masks. My grandsons are too little this year, but I pinned it as an idea for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were a lot of fun to make. I thought my almost 8 yr old wouldn't like it, but he did. It's nice having Halloween decor that no one else has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloween is a favorite holiday around here. Those masks will make a great new decoration next year.

    ReplyDelete